 Off-Topic / Debate / 19179
Re: Dan Rather is a Useful Idiot Extraordinare
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 02:47:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

You don't need the gun, you shouldn't want the gun, and if your only reason
to have the gun is to "protect society", you're not--you're actually,
statistically, hindering society.

I'm just saying...

The violent crime rate doubled* in Canada and tripled* in the UK after the gun
control laws went into effect.  Yes they are still lower than in the US but
that is beside the point. I do understand your point now, but unless every gun
on the planet was destroyed, statistically those that break the law will always
have them and be more inclined to use them with no threat of opposition.

-Mike Petrucelli

*aproximately

And I agree that there will always be those that want to break the law, or
use a weapon in a moment of passion--I admitted that I'm torn when it comes
to me, a gun, and Paul Bernardo (my ethics would prevent me from doing harm
to him in the final analysis).

Less access to guns = less gun related violence is what I'm advocating.

It's a cyclical arguement--if the bad guys have guns, then we, the private
citizens should have guns to combat the bad guys--the problem is,
statistically, the more guns we, the private citizens have, the better
chance the bad guys have at getting guns--compounded with that is that age
old problem of family members shooting family members.

What I want is a complete pipe dream, I know, but I never said i wasn't a
dreamer, and as yet, I haven't heard any reason why my 'dream' is not better
for society than what we have today.

Dave K