 Dear LEGO / 3371
Re: This is stupid... I can't tolerate this *juniorization*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 22:50:27 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Dan Simonson writes:
Ok, this is going to be a long message.

Just to get who I am straight, I'm Dan Simonson, I'm 13, I've played with
Legos since I was 3.

I recently got the Lego summer catalog. I ordered some bulk packs (in my
opinion way over priced for *bulk*) and a pack of two T-Plates for my town's
new layout. When I first opened it though I saw this stupid looking thing
called Jack Stone. I immediately though it was for three year olds, that it
was a
duplo set, and was immediately angry. The buildings have nothing to them! It
reminds me of the old cheap show James Bond Junior from when I was 4. After
recieving a Mania Magazine about it I think I almost got a headache. There's
no
point to it!

Dan... if that makes you sad, just take a look at the style of buildings
that LEGO used to put into their sets.  These are the kind of buildings I
got to enjoy as a kid:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/370

It's got proper walls, doors and a roof.  It's got vehicles and yes, even
armless minifigs.  But you know what?  When I was a kid and a minifig needed
to get into a car (that had no doors) the minifig simply needed to touch the
vehicle and they were inside.  Then I set them aside (imagining they were
inside) and drove the car around.  It worked very well.  But the best part
was that the cars, the building.... everything was made of basic bricks
which could be rebuilt into a million other things.  Can you make anything
else out of the Jack Stone Police HQ?

Uhg, now I'm depressed :-) But, no, really, I do like that polce HQ. It's
got a similar feel to the buildings I make today. I *really* wish I had some
of those older sets.

Page 1, *Bionicle.* When I first saw Bionicle I thought it was aimed at the
Japanese market than anything else. It reminds me of the edited Dragon Ball
Z, a show so watered down and milked up that it's no wonder I don't like it
any more. One fight between two characters lasted 3-4 weeks.

I think Bionicle is proof that a 5th column is at work inside the LEGO company.

Sounds good, probally is true.

Page 5, DIONSAURS. The last time I had any interest in Dinosaurs was when I
was in Kindergarden. I see where it comes in with Jurasic Park III and the
Lego Studios but do you have to release and waste all that petrolium (yes,
it's a non-renewable resource) on a hole bunch of dinosaurs we really don't
even need. And at $10 a piece, what 5 year old can even afford to waste $40
on them.

Bless your heart.  I thought I was the only one thinking these thoughts when
I saw the Jurasic crud.

I saw these in the store the other day and they come in Bionicle like cases.

One additional comment before my extreme rage burns out...

Ok, I remember not long ago Lego sent out this little yellow thing with
their s@h
orders about their mission statement or something like that. It said that
Lego is a creative toy, becuase one day, it can be a submarine, the next it
can be castle, and the next it can be a spaceship. Many of the things I have
seen in the last catalog have made that mission statement worthless and
obselete.

Dan... it is my sincere hope that some brave employee at LEGO takes your
original posting, prints it out, and takes it to the big cheese of the
company.  Someone needs to answer as to why you and I are so disgusted by
the catalog that went out.  We are more than 20 years different in age, but
our reactions were oddly similar.  Who does this catalog appeal to?

Nobody, and as an addition to what I said about the catalog, at Target one
of the only decent things on the shelf was a basic brick bucket.

Allan B.

Dan