 Dear LEGO / 3319
3318  |  3320
Subject:
This is stupid... I can't tolerate this *juniorization*...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 02:18:59 GMT

Ok, this is going to be a long message.

Just to get who I am straight, I'm Dan Simonson, I'm 13, I've played with
Legos since I was 3. I got a whole bunch of bricks from my sister, who once
got them from my brother, who's 30 now. This is where my passion with Lego
started. I got one of the old dump trucks when I was 3 also. I loved that
thing. Wish I still had it together. Any way, when I was 5 I got the old
Spyrius recon robot for my birthday from a friend. Since I was a Space fan
and later picked up on building a town when I was in 4th grade (about age 9
or 8). To make a long story short I've played with those theme's, Town and
Space,  ever
since.

I recently got the Lego summer catalog. I ordered some bulk packs (in my
opinion way over priced for *bulk*) and a pack of two T-Plates for my town's
new layout. When I first opened it though I saw this stupid looking thing
called Jack Stone. I immediately though it was for three year olds, that it
was a
duplo set, and was immediately angry. The buildings have nothing to them! It
reminds me of the old cheap show James Bond Junior from when I was 4. After
recieving a Mania Magazine about it I think I almost got a headache. There's
no
point to it!

Another example of my dislike for juniorization is from when I turned 10, I
got a construction crew. I was glad I got the set because at the time I had
no construction crew for my little town. When I saw the directions I
immediately wanted to write Lego because they were so poor in quality. A two
year old could have done it with out his parents help. I never got the
chance to, wasn't that important. Now I have my chance.

I'm now reading the catalog, I'm going to bash everthing juniorized as I go
along.

Page 1, *Bionicle.* When I first saw Bionicle I thought it was aimed at the
Japanese market than anything else. It reminds me of the edited Dragon Ball
Z, a show so watered down and milked up that it's no wonder I don't like it
any more. One fight between two characters lasted 3-4 weeks.

Page 5, DIONSAURS. The last time I had any interest in Dinosaurs was when I
was in Kindergarden. I see where it comes in with Jurasic Park III and the
Lego Studios but do you have to release and waste all that petrolium (yes,
it's a non-renewable resource) on a hole bunch of dinosaurs we really don't
even need. And at $10 a piece, what 5 year old can even afford to waste $40
on them.

Pages 8-9, Great mechs, but the ship and the base make me laugh. What kind
of base is that! It looks like an Aquanaut base I made once that was made of
little gobs of bricks that are separated and serve no purpose but to to look
cool. $80 for that junk! I wouldn't pay $50.

Page 13, Mega Blok, or Lego? When I saw this I was more sickened than when I
saw Jack Stone. 8 pieces per car!!!!! WHAT THE HELL, TECH DECK SKATEBOARDS
HAVE MORE LITTLE TINY SCREWS IN THEM THAN THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 16-17, just one more adden to JACK STONE. How can he get away with
being a cop and fire fighter? To be on the optimistic side of this BS, there
a blue flame and a black raft. Those are pretty neat.

Page 22-23, Duplo, where Juniorization should stay.

Page 24-27, the best new thing Lego has made in a long time.

Page 47, the leg henges are nice for Mechs.

One additional comment before my extreme rage burns out...

Ok, I remember not long ago Lego sent out this little yellow thing with
their s@h
orders about their mission statement or something like that. It said that
Lego is a creative toy, becuase one day, it can be a submarine, the next it
can be castle, and the next it can be a spaceship. Many of the things I have
seen in the last catalog have made that mission statement worthless and
obselete.

This is Lego's true purpose...
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego/mecha/colossus/colossus01.html

--