 General / 50857
Re: Brickshelf going away???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 27 May 2005 21:04:05 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

In lugnet.general, Steven Asbury wrote:
The instruction and catalog scans have been removed. Kevin posted the following
message ...

"Due to the loss of our major sponsor, Instruction and Catalog scans are no
longer available at Brickshelf.com. We are working to find them a new home. When
we do, we will post a link here. We apologize for any inconvenience."

I also see there is a message asking users to transfer their files to maj.com.

Kevin (or anyone), can you give us some more information? Is Brickshelf going
away immediately? If so, what timetable do we have before our galleries
disappear?

Brickshelf.com is not going away, at least not if I can help it.  I am working
with someone to rehost the instruction scans, and they will be in
their new home as soon as we can get them moved and they can get the necessary
permission from LEGO.  I expect the new caretakers will do a better job
than I ever did, and especially better than I have lately.

It is my intent to keep the brickshelf gallery online for the forseeable future,
though performance may be limited and new uploads may be disabled at
some point.

- Kevin

Re: Brickshelf going away???
Brickshelf.com is not going away, at least not if I can help it.  I am working
with someone to rehost the instruction scans, and they will be in
their new home as soon as we can get them moved and they can get the necessary
permission from LEGO.  I expect the new caretakers will do a better job
than I ever did, and especially better than I have lately.

It is my intent to keep the brickshelf gallery online for the forseeable future,
though performance may be limited and new uploads may be disabled at
some point.

- Kevin

Thanks, Kevin!

That message about transferring files to maj.com made it sound like the
galleries were going away, too.

Is there anything we can do to help? I've already donated, but would be happy to
add to my donation if there's a funding crisis.

Also, any way you can warn us before uploading is disabled or keep us up-to-date
on changes to avoid another panic?

Thanks again.

-Steven

Re: Brickshelf going away???
[...]

The web is wonderful but it ain't permanent or free. If the people who use
brickshelf think so much of it (and I have always been impressed with it), then
they should be willing to pay for a subscription to upload and download images.
Or have a fundraiser to endow it with enough money to keep it going in
perpetuity. And host it with a hosting company that will be around. Just my
thoughts. If someone can make a profit or at least break even, then it is much
less likely for it to go away.

Tommy ARmstrong

Re: Brickshelf going away???