 Off-Topic / Debate / 7414
Re: Lets keep politics out of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 14:05:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Dave Schuler wrote:
  Especially given Republicans' long-standing tradition of honesty,
integrity, and family values.

<snigger>  Yeah, right.  Republicans....honesty...integrity.  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

I think ANY politician won't fit will with those terms after any
appreciable time in office.

Disagree. "Power corrupts" as they say. So if you want less corruption, make
sure your politicians have less power... That's one of the outcomes of
Libertarianism, a government that does less, and hence, has less
opportunities for graft and logrolling. (1)

Therefore, while no person is perfect, Libertarian politicians will, IMHO,
stay honest a LOT longer than Demopublicans. The system is set up that way!
You get what you measure for.

This is a parallel to our contention that if you set society up to encourage
and reward honesty, the goodness of people comes to the fore and people
remain mostly honest and good.

1 - See _The Road to Serfdom_ by Hayek. While it happens that he is much
admired by Libertarians, unless you've decided to irrationally reject
Libertarianism without basis, that fact is no reason to reject a Nobel Prize
winning scholar in and of itself. A parable: If your personal devil quoted
the bible, would you therefore reject the bible without critical examination?

++Lar