 Off-Topic / Debate / 7418
Re: Lets keep politics out of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 15:26:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:
Dave Schuler wrote:
  Especially given Republicans' long-standing tradition of honesty,
integrity, and family values.

<snigger>  Yeah, right.  Republicans....honesty...integrity.  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

I think ANY politician won't fit will with those terms after any
appreciable time in office.

Disagree. "Power corrupts" as they say.

I'm not sure politicians really do have power. Surly the power lies with the
electorate?

So if you want less corruption, make
sure your politicians have less power...

The problem with your LP is that, those at the bottom of society would also
have less “power”.

That's one of the outcomes of
Libertarianism

The others include increased social division.

, a government that does less, and hence, has less
opportunities for graft and logrolling. (1)

Therefore, while no person is perfect, Libertarian politicians will, IMHO,
stay honest a LOT longer than Demopublicans. The system is set up that way!
You get what you measure for.

This is a parallel to our contention that if you set society up to encourage
and reward honesty, the goodness of people comes to the fore and people
remain mostly honest and good.

1 - See _The Road to Serfdom_ by Hayek. While it happens that he is much
admired by Libertarians, unless you've decided to irrationally reject
Libertarianism without basis, that fact is no reason to reject a Nobel Prize
winning scholar in and of itself. A parable: If your personal devil quoted
the bible, would you therefore reject the bible without critical examination?

One would not use the bible to assess the bible. One would use an objective
analysis of the bible to assess it. If I wanted an objective understanding
of the bible, I'd worry if when I asked a christian for answers, they would
not answer me - but instead and refer me to the pope.

Scott A