 Off-Topic / Debate / 7382
Re: CODE WORD TIME
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 07:10:58 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jon Kozan writes:
No then, my assertion is merely that anyone who can't read the instructions
wouldn't have voted in a manner that needed re-counting.

I saw an e-mail today which described how the ballots looked when in the
machines. Apparently some ballots lined up fairly well, and others didn't at
all. With all due respect, I'm unwilling to call people stupid without having
seen the actual conditions they were voting in. My mom also mentioned that she
had some difficulty with hers (she lives in St. Petersburg FL), though she was
able to figure it out, but someone who can just barely see could have a much
bigger problem.

What I hope is that there will be a recognition that those kind of punch
machines need to be gotten rid of.

I was glad to see that in Wake County NC (or at least my precinct) that they
use a pretty user friendly ballot. The way you indicate your vote is to
complete an arrow which looks something like this:

   ===    ===>

The lines are about 1/8" thick. They supply a special pen to mark the ballots.
After I had been in line a while and they realized how bad the line was, they
passed out all the pens they had, and the line quickly cleared up. They do have
several "booths" and have also always had a table or two with pens for those
who don't feel they need complete privacy.

On the other hand, even with that simple ballot, and no pressure to "hurry up",
I found myself somewhat flustered, so I can easily imagine how an elderly
person dealing with a much more difficult to use ballot would have problems.

On the other hand, I don't have unlimited sympathy (though if folks really were
refused help or a replacement ballot when they screwed theirs up, then
something needs to change), but I also think it's reasonable for the candidates
to use the laws available. If the law is bad, then let the courts and
legislatures address that, but lets not call folks, who actually took the
initative to participate in directing how the country is run, stupid.

Frank