 Off-Topic / Debate / 7348
Re: Lets keep politics out of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:59:11 GMT

Gerry Venteicher wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Charles Eric McCarthy writes:

And my comment to you is that hand counts are more accurate than machine
counts in determining the intent of the voters.  If, due to a defect in
the perforations of a voting card, my vote wasn't counted, I would be
angry too, just like the Florida voters are.

So I do wait for the outcome of the recount, and I am not crazy.
And I don't see how it is that trying to get the most accurate count
possible constitutes a "brutal assault on our Constitution".

As for a revote in Palm Beach county, that is much more controversial
than hand recounts, and I don't think I would support that at this
time.  I can see how you might think a revote would not be constitutional.

/Eric/
  Eric,
  I do appreciate your distress over the choice of Bush for President.
Quite frankly I would make goofy demands if my canidate lost.

My distress is over your inappropriate political comments in
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade more than it is over Bush being likely to
become president.  Gore was not my candidate.  But I still think hand recounts
are more accurate.  They do document their standards. They decide which
kinds of partially punched spots they will count, and then they count them.
The workers have representatives of both parties watching, as well as
video cameras and police making sure no funny stuff happens.
There are numerous precedents for using hand recounts in close votes.

As far as the
accuracy of a hand recount you might say that it is as accurate as the
people counting it are honest.  There are way to many variables that could
happen in a hand recount.  Machines have done a great job until now.  Why
all of the sudden are they so bad.  Yet to the ultimate extreme lets just
count the whole country by hand.  Because they have to be all wrong to.

It only makes sense to hand count in places where the outcome is close enough
that it might matter.  Maybe your vote wasn't counted in Iowa, due to a
tabulation error or whatever.  What if Gore had taken Iowa by only 1 vote?
Wouldn't you want a careful recount?

    As far as my Brickbay store goes regaurdless of party affiliation I have
a great store.  My feedback is only the 3rd one to reach 100 positives.  So
the code word is just a way for people to get some good deals in a
interesting way.  Now lets just agree to disagree and get back to something
we both love and that being the greatest toys ever, Legos

OK, I agree with that.  You run a good shop.  The reason I responded
the way I did is because I did not expect to see political comments
in lugnet.buy-sell-trade.  And when your comments accused me and others
of being crazy, I didn't want to let that slide.  I hope you can understand
that waiting for a hand recount is not necessarily crazy, nor a brutal
assault on our Constitution.

And I don't understand the Limbaugh crybaby comment, but maybe it is just
as well. :-)

/Eric M/