 Off-Topic / Debate / 7366
Re: CODE WORD TIME
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:16:20 GMT

I'm with you, Rob.

If somehow Gore forces his way in, he'll certainly have been the first
President elected by the will of the people too stupid to read.

The President of the Stupid.

What a way to start your legacy.

-Jon

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Rob Doucette writes:
"Eric McCarthy" <eric@reasoning.com> wrote in message
Gerry Venteicher wrote:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Charles Eric McCarthy writes:
Gerry Venteicher wrote:
  In honor of the new President of the United States( everyone who is
waiting for the outcome of the recount are crazy)

Why do you want to call half your customers crazy?  A lot of people
are agonizing over their decision to vote for Nader or their accidental
vote for Buchanan.  Your comments are ill-timed and insensitive.

You are mistaken Eric.  I never called my customers crazy I called the
people who want to continue this brutal assult on our Constitution and
Forefathers crazy.  My only comment to you on this matter that if
regaurdless who you vote for, whether it is Bush or Gore, if you cannot
figure out how to mark a ballot you are an idiot.  How about that, I • have
just rank myself with Rush Limbaugh as being insensitive to cry babies.

And my comment to you is that hand counts are more accurate than machine
counts in determining the intent of the voters.  If, due to a defect in
the perforations of a voting card, my vote wasn't counted, I would be
angry too, just like the Florida voters are.

Your point is one that is not being addressed in the media.  ARE hand counts
more accurate than machine counts?

My opinion is that no, they are not.  The more these ballots are handled,
the more they WILL be damaged, it is unavoidable.  Also, the methods by
which hand counting is reportedly being performed is inconsistent with the
way the machines count ballots (in every county where this style of
ballot/machine counting is utilized).  Subjective counting with no
documented, legally sanctioned standards is nonsense.

I heard one report that the tabulation machines are required to perform with
an error rate of at least 1 in 1 million ballots.

The 'will of the people' rhetoric is also getting silly.  When I lived in an
area that used these ballots, the instructions were clear:  check your
ballot to make sure all of the punch outs are complete.  Shame on those
voters who did not take the time to understand their obligation and vote
properly.

I would love to hear an unbiased view of this issue by a statistician.

--
-Rob.

New sets and parts for sale or trade:
http://www.doucettenet.com/lego/