 Off-Topic / Debate / 7395
Re: Lets keep politics out of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 14:56:26 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Simpson writes:
If Bush loses, we're gonna exercise
our right to cede from the Union, and the first order of business will be to
declare war on France...and Rhode Island.

There's a difference? :-) Wait, what did Rhode Island do?

Note that France seems to be rather disliked by a lot of countries, note the
admonition in that UK Revokation that we were to nuke France at the
slightest provocation...

Just because that dirge was written in the UK, it does not follow that it is
the UK view...

Agreed. There is no "monolithic" UK view, (just as there is no "US" view
either). However there certainly is a bit of a running gag among many people
I talked with about disliking the French and french ways. The UK and France
are close allies at the government level and have been for years and years
now, and I think this "dislike" is, among most people, just good fun.

It is an English thing - not UK. You'll also find that a good deal of
England still harks back to WW2, and loves reminding the Germans about who
one. The feeling in Scotland is a little more mature. I'll quote one of you
countrymen to sum up how I feel about harking back to past "glories":

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of
others, without fearing it."

However, you have to ask yourself, why does the Eurostar (the Chunnel
express from Paris and Brussels) terminate at *Waterloo* (1)? Whoever *made*
that decision clearly wanted to poke a little fun at someone.

As for the rest of the "dirge", it's having some (mostly well deserved,
IMHO) fun at US expense. US cars ARE crap compared to German ones, for
example... (although note that they chose to compare to German cars because
UK cars are crap compared to US cars, I only need to cite Rover and most UK
people I talk to agree heartily)...

I'll take your word for it, I don't think I've ever driven a car made in the US.

So to sum up, all in good fun, nothing more.

PS, what was your PhD in, again? I think you forgot to answer that question.
Why is that? :-)

I'm still waiting on you to answer a good deal of questions Larry... but I
realise you may need some time. I don't see how my doctorate is relevant to
this thread, but I have stated its subject outside this thread in the last 7
days. I'll quote one of the big contributors{1} to LUGNET to sum up my
thoughts on this:

"I am not going to do your homework for you and provide all the references
as I have neither the time nor the interest."

ttfn :)

Scott A

{1} Self acclaimed

1 - for the 97.85%(2) of US readers who have no idea why that is funny, look
up the Napoleonic wars and which one was the biggest French defeat...

2 - quoting the "dirge"... that's not a fair percentage. The US isn't THAT
unaware of the rest of the world... in actuality the percentage is much much
lower.. say oh, 94.32% or so :-)

Indeed, even "W" has only been outside the US three times.

Scott A

++Lar