 Off-Topic / Debate / 7375
Re: Lets keep politics out of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 21:54:29 GMT

Ok, I'd like to express a few things here.
1.  Gerry your original post was in bad taste, have a enough sense to admit it.
2.  The first state wide recount was not initiated by The democratic party, it
was started as a result of Florida state law.
3.  Gore picked up over 2000 votes as a result.  And as result he and his party
are seeking a more accurate recount in the counties they belive matter the most
to them.  There is nothing wrong with this, it is a perfectly sane, legal thing
to do considering the circumstances.  Calling it an attack on the constitution
is a baseless claim.
4.  The Bush campain is free to request a hand count in the counties were they
believe they can pick up votes as well.  And are considering it.
5.  Nothing Gore has done to this point (with the exception of not conceeding)
has made the process drag out.  To claim that he and the Dems are dragging the
process out is just plain wrong.  By Florida law the election will not be
certified until 12pm ET on Sat. Nov. 18.  This is true because the remaining
uncounted overseas ballots exceeds the number of votes seperating the two
candidates.
6.  Republicans don't like to hear this, but it is true that Black voters were
refused ballots in many counties by election officials claiming that they had
run out of ballots.  In addition many Palm beach county voters were denied
additional ballots (they are allowed three by law) after punching in for two
candidates on their first ballot.  The fact that these voters were denied
ballots represents a violation of Florida law.  This is one of the Lagal issues
that will be considered if Gore looses the Official certified election on
Sat.  This also does not represent an attack on the constition.  It is merely a
legal issue involving Florida state law.
7.  The whole process is completely fascinating and I can't see why people
would want it to end without the supreme court weighing in on some of the
issues.  The only reason some people seem to want a hurried judgement is that
they feel very strongly about a particular candidate.

Anyway, thanks for letting me get some of that off my chest.

BTW, I voted for Nader!  I dislike both major candidates as they are both
sell-outs to a pluthera of special interest groups and large coorporations.

Pat Justison

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Gerry Venteicher writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Charles Eric McCarthy writes:

And my comment to you is that hand counts are more accurate than machine
counts in determining the intent of the voters.  If, due to a defect in
the perforations of a voting card, my vote wasn't counted, I would be
angry too, just like the Florida voters are.

So I do wait for the outcome of the recount, and I am not crazy.
And I don't see how it is that trying to get the most accurate count
possible constitutes a "brutal assault on our Constitution".

As for a revote in Palm Beach county, that is much more controversial
than hand recounts, and I don't think I would support that at this
time.  I can see how you might think a revote would not be constitutional.

/Eric/
Eric,
I do appreciate your distress over the choice of Bush for President.
Quite frankly I would make goofy demands if my canidate lost.  As far as the
accuracy of a hand recount you might say that it is as accurate as the
people counting it are honest.  There are way to many variables that could
happen in a hand recount.  Machines have done a great job until now.  Why
all of the sudden are they so bad.  Yet to the ultimate extreme lets just
count the whole country by hand.  Because they have to be all wrong to.
   As far as my Brickbay store goes regaurdless of party affiliation I have
a great store.  My feedback is only the 3rd one to reach 100 positives.  So
the code word is just a way for people to get some good deals in a
interesting way.  Now lets just agree to disagree and get back to something
we both love and that being the greatest toys ever, Legos
Thanks,
Gerry