 Off-Topic / Debate / 7429
Re: Lets keep politics out of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:58:12 GMT

I'm at the near point of avoiding this group altogether.  I personally wish Scott
and Larry would just killfile each other and be done with it.

While I side mostly with Larry, the way this "discussion" is being handled is
useless and pointless.  Larry will never get Scott to actually RESEARCH arguments
previously beaten to death, and Scott will never get Larry to spent countless hours
tracking down background for each and every (geometrically growing) snipe.

I wish they would just ignore each other and get back to debating with OTHER
people.

Christopher Weeks wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott and Larry write:

Go back. Read my posts. Answer my points.... as I have asked repeatedly.

Sorry, I am not going to answer each and every one of your snipes in detail.

[snip]

Pick one point, one thought, one item that you'd like to have a
debate about

Nope. I've done it already... go back and read my posts.

This is great!

   "You say something and I'll pay attention and we'll talk about it."
   "No, you"
   "No, you"
etc...

The basic fact is that you're both right.  Since I largely agree with Larry's
beliefs it makes if easier for me to empathize with his side, but he pretty
clearly does squirm instead of answering when it suits him.  But Scott, for
_you_ of all people to call him on it is ridiculous.

Since you both know that neither of you is willing to engage in productive
discourse (with each other, at least), why not just shut the heck up?

Unless this is productive.

As I see it, you both basically (and most of the rest of us for that matter)
spout our ideas and opinions that seem obviously true.  (e.g. I am at a loss as
to how to show that centrally planned economy delivers worse and less efficient
services to the stakeholders than does a free market, because it is so
obvious.)  So whether I'm telling John that he ought to lighten up on his kids,
or I'm telling Scott that government ought to lighten up on us, I am equally
certain, and in neither case will I make a dent.  But we keep it up anyway.
Why?

And why does the bickering between Scott the mindless liberal and Larry the
mindless libertarian seem different than the rest of this possibly pointless
discussion?  Maybe because we generally refrain from personal attacks and this
pair seems to be edging in that direction?  I'm really not sure.

But at least I got to blabber,

Chris

--
Tom Stangl