 Off-Topic / Debate / 7424
Re: Lets keep politics out of Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 19:43:11 GMT

Well, here in the UK, I can go round and see my MP this weekend if I wish. I
can tell her just what I think, and expect her to represent my views.

Ya, and I can call my congressman or go to his office. I can even share my
views, and the office often does give help to constitutents. But if you
equate that with "you're in control", somehow, you're confused. Your
elections are when? At least every 5 years, but basically whenever the party
in power has maneuvered things so it has the best chance of picking up
ridings. The UK press is saying that right now, most of what Blair is doing
is getting ready for the election by careful positioning. Wasn't his recent
repudiation of Thatcher just that?

Go back. Read my posts. Answer my points.... as I have asked repeatedly.

Sorry, I am not going to answer each and every one of your snipes in detail.
They multiply at least geometrically. I have better things to do with my
time. I will continue to call you on your most egregious misstatements,
though. You can call that "grandstanding for the audience" if you like. In a
way, it is. I'm more concerned with the critical thinkers among the other
readers than I am with you.

Tell you what though, Scott. Pick one point, one thought, one item that
you'd like to have a debate about. State it clearly, including the
assumptions and premises behind it, and I'll have a debate with you about
it. I'll let you know if you've stated it clearly enough to begin, once you
do so.

I liked this, it pretty much sums up my view of the LP:

Libertarians and their "I've got mine, Jack" philosphy are people who were
born on third base and think they've hit life's triple. In America's
egalitarian society it should surprise no one this cramped, neo-Victorian
philosophy has not caught on.
Russell Sadler, commentator, Jefferson Public Radio in Ashland, Oregon

There are so many fallacies, errors, and ad hominem attacks in this one,
it's hard to know where to begin. Is it your point, though? Is it the one
you want to pick? It's pretty weak.

++Lar