 Off-Topic / Debate / 7415
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 14:30:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tom Stangl writes:

The answer, of course, is that YOU should be able to decide what a "drug" is
for YOU, and how you will handle it, but not for others.

  That works if the "drug" user is able to make that determination and if he
doesn't subsequently cause harm to others as a result of that drug use, and
in any case financial/criminal penalties may simply be too after-the-fact to
be of use unless some measure stands in place to prevent such
self-adjudication. Would you, for example, be comfortable undergoing surgery
if, after you were put under, the MD decided he could "handle" a few hits of
LSD before cutting you open?  In addition, an addict has lost the ability to
decide how much he can "handle," so his judgment is inherently faulty.

On a side note "protect my family from drugs"??  So you don't take aspirin,
penicillin, antibiotics, etc?

  Obviously there's no ironclad indicator of what a drug is and isn't, and
if you choose to define it broadly enough, light and air are both drugs.
Certain substances, though, have an undeniable behavior-altering aspect and
can be distinguished from things like sugar.

  Dave!