 Off-Topic / Debate / 7412
Re: From Harry Browne
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 13:00:22 GMT

Scott A wrote:

The principles that the LP operates under say that, for example, that all
drugs should be legal. Calling for just pot to be legalised, except as a
first step, misses the mark of trying to free people to suffer the effects
of their choices instead of relying on the state for protection from their
own actions.

It is my job as a parent to protect my family from drugs. Having the police
help me is a good thing, in my own opinion.

Ah, but who should decide what "drugs" are?

I don't think the government should, they've always made a mess of it - deciding
what is Prescription only, Scheduled drugs, over-the-counter drugs, "not really
drugs" drugs (for example,  nicotine in cigarettes, AT THIS MOMENT, is not a
controlled substance, at least not in cigarettes).

The answer, of course, is that YOU should be able to decide what a "drug" is for
YOU, and how you will handle it, but not for others.

On a side note "protect my family from drugs"??  So you don't take aspirin,
penicillin, antibiotics, etc?

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/