 Off-Topic / Debate / 24456
Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:09:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:

   My biggest concern about all of this is where things are going to go from here, since the only real buzz right now is about tapping the space-tourist market. Yes, it’s cool that a privatized space flight has finally been achieved, but what real purpose do any of the X-Prize designs serve?

Rutan says he’s going for orbit once this step is perfected.

What else could he say? To go into orbit he’ll need a quantum leap in technology and funding. Perhaps the North Koreans could help with funding? ;)

Being cynical, I’d say SpaceShipOne is nothing more than another way for the wealthy to waste energy. ;)

BTW The UK’s first civilian (a confectioner) Astronaut was Helen Sharman who made it into orbit (& Mir) in ’91.

Scott A