 Off-Topic / Debate / 24468
Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:13:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   What else could he say? To go into orbit he’ll need a quantum leap in technology and funding.

NASA was sorta forced into cheating on that one. The Russians got the jump on them, so they had to bypass the X-15 suborbital jet plane by outfitting nuclear missiles with crew modules instead of warheads. The ironic thing was that the X-15 was developed specifically with the intent of exploring the possibilities of a recoverable/reusable spacecraft, and they basically put all of that on hold for decades just to regain and keep the lead in the Space Race.

I get the feeling, however, that SS1 will actually be a source of new funding, with deep-pocketed astro-tourists pumping large amounts of cash into development of an orbiter system just to experience a few moments of true weightlessness (as compared to the NASA trick of free-fall-inside-a-plane).

   Being cynical, I’d say SpaceShipOne is nothing more than another way for the wealthy to waste energy. ;)

It does provide a lot of new insight into what actually is or is not needed for space-launch capability, especially with the new fuel source and the self-correcting re-entry system (I bet the astronauts on Apollo 13 would have appreciated having that available for theirs).