 Off-Topic / Debate / 24467
Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:27:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
Rutan says he's going for orbit once this step is perfected.

With a completely new design, or with a modified version of this one?  At the
very least he'd need to add manouvering thrusters to make reentry possible.

I don't think that a ten year timeline for that is at all aggressive
considering what the last ten years have provided.

Ten years to achieve what, exactly?  Low orbit?  High orbit?  Moon-landings?
Privately owned Space Shuttle equivalent?  It took NASA less than 8 years to go
from breaching the 50-mile barrier to putting a man on the moon.

Well, I hope you're a really old man, or just wrong.

Since my parents haven't retired yet, I doubt I qualify as "old".  Only time
will tell on the other point.  If Rutan can put a man on the moon in 5 years, or
achieve the heavy lift capability of the Space Shuttle in 12 years, I'll believe
that privatized spaceflight can completely supplant NASA.

I'd love to see NASA become a superfluous organ of the state.

I wouldn't.  It's hard to feel patriotic about commercial ventures.  NASA could
certainly stand a bit of real competition to keep them striding forward (the
Russians haven't really been up to the task for a long time), but I'd hope that
there are still a lot of great things that can be accomplished by a nation
rather than just a bunch of shareholders.  Of course, I'm the sort of person for
whom basketball season comes once every four years, so maybe it's just me...