 Off-Topic / Debate / 24471
Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:00:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
Rutan says he's going for orbit once this step is perfected.

With a completely new design, or with a modified version of this one?  At the
very least he'd need to add manouvering thrusters to make reentry possible.

I don't think that a ten year timeline for that is at all aggressive
considering what the last ten years have provided.

Ten years to achieve what, exactly?  Low orbit?  High orbit?  Moon-landings?
Privately owned Space Shuttle equivalent?  It took NASA less than 8 years to go
from breaching the 50-mile barrier to putting a man on the moon.

I'm reading between the lines, but I think only a little: new design, high orbit

Yes, but let's imagine that Rutan can do it for $60M.  What did NASA spend?  (Of
course, they were pioneering the technology!)

Since my parents haven't retired yet, I doubt I qualify as "old".  Only time
will tell on the other point.  If Rutan can put a man on the moon in 5 years, or
achieve the heavy lift capability of the Space Shuttle in 12 years, I'll believe
that privatized spaceflight can completely supplant NASA.

What if it's double those times but 1/10 the cost?

I'd love to see NASA become a superfluous organ of the state.

I wouldn't.  It's hard to feel patriotic about commercial ventures.

Yeah, but more tech and more options for more people and more ventures at lower
cost is way, way, way more important to me than feeling patriotic.

but I'd hope that
there are still a lot of great things that can be accomplished by a nation
rather than just a bunch of shareholders.

I hope that we're finally on the cusp of seeing how a bunch of shareholders can
accomplish great things that a nation cannot (or, more accurately, will not).

Chris