 Off-Topic / Debate / 24709
Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 20:15:11 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
   That’s absolute nonsense.

The exact term you used, I think, wasn’t it?

Indeed it was, but you wholy missed the point in your zealous rush to criticize me yet again. I wasn’t objecting to your use of my own words, but to your callous treatment of my statements by way of making a big public show of ignoring them. You sidestep the issues more than any other person on this site. I can’t think of any other person who regularly uses spelling errors as a way of trying to invalidate an opinion. What’s worse is that you only seem to point out typos when you disagree with what’s being said, and you almost never follow up with any solid evidence to disprove those same statements, just leaving it at “it dilutes your argument”. In fact, the only other instances I can remember of seeing people point out typos and grammatical errors during a debate are when you make them, especially when you’re making them in the same posts where you point out the typos of others.

I still stand by my statement from this post, where I dismissed your opinion that anyone who wasn’t jumping for joy at the successful launch of June 21st is directly at fault for the fact that commercial space ventures haven’t happened yet. As proof of my opinion, I present you with this article, where many of your CSV heroes state quite plainly that they don’t see this as a high-margin market, they still don’t think SS1 can be directly profitable, investors still aren’t leaping at the chance to throw money into this technology (including Paul Allen, who said he wouldn’t be the sole investor in any commercial enterprise that might result from all of this), and the possibility of expensive flight insurance might kill the possibility of affordable space tourism. Indeed, Pat Bahn suggests that space tourism, while exciting to talk about, is a horrible direction for this budding industry to take, given the relative youth of the industry. Instead, he feels this industry should follow in the footsteps of commercial aviation, which went from “Wright Brothers” style novelty to military and low-risk non-touristy stuff.

Also, if you look back to early aviation, it wasn’t until Charles Lindbergh won a cash prize (directly paralleling the X-Prize) that aviation advanced to the point of commercial travel applications. It’s not that there hasn’t been interest in privatized space flight, but rather that the people who have been most interested in it were the ones that didn’t have the money to pay for it. You can’t just expect this industry to spring up from nothing with the ability to present you with an orbital hotel trip at $1000 per head, and you can’t lay all the blame at the feet of NASA, when they’ve been using privatized unmanned spaceflight capability for almost 20 years.

   I don’t recall ever making any such claim, I think you have me confused with someone else.

Indeed I did, for which I apoligize.

   However, if you can provide a cite where I said it, I’ll gladly retract any statement I may have made in which I asserted that tritium is an economic power source at this time.

Why is it, though, that you only ever offer to apologize for being wrong in situations where you know you aren’t? I’m still waiting to hear an apology for telling me that I was wrong about typing “The LEGO Company” instead of “The LEGO(R) Company”...