 Off-Topic / Debate / 24488
Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:23:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:

My biggest concern about all of this is where things are going to go from here,
since the only real buzz right now is about tapping the space-tourist market.
Yes, it's cool that a privatized space flight has finally been achieved, but
what real purpose do any of the X-Prize designs serve?

Rutan says he's going for orbit once this step is perfected.  I don't think that
a ten year timeline for that is at all aggressive considering what the last ten
years have provided.

When privatized space flights can repair/recover the Hubble,
transport construction materials for the ISS, land on the moon, or even acheive
an extended orbital flight for research...then I'll be impressed.

Yeah, those will be better.  And then there are better yet goals.  And after
that too.  But for now, this was plenty impressive.

I don't think NASA is in any danger of being supplanted by any of the X-Prize
contendors or their offspring within my lifetime, since the primary intended
market appears to be one that they've long ago declined to pursue.

Merely a stepping stone.

Well, I hope you're a really old man, or just wrong.  I'd love to see NASA
become a superfluous organ of the state.

Well, knock me over with a feather.

Somebody inside NASA is apparently considering whether NASA should give prizes
too. Maybe nothing will come of it, maybe it was a misquote, who knows. But
maybe???

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-06-23-NASA-prizes_x.htm