 Off-Topic / Debate / 24419
Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 20 Jun 2004 15:25:57 GMT

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=568&ncid=749&e=1&u=/nm/20030426/bs_nm/space_speculation_dc

Let us keep our fingers crossed that something comes of one or two of these
pipe dream hobby projects...

(note that the header of .space has a link to Scaled Composites website with
their press release. As I said in .space, if anyone can win the X prize,
Bert Rutan can)

Tomorrow's the scheduled launch day for the first suborbital flight (this
apparently is not an X Prize qualifying flight, needs 3 people on board to be
the first of the pair required, but predictions are that if this goes well, the
prize will be won by the end of July).

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/index.htm

quoting Ben Bova's site: (http://www.benbova.net/xprize.htm)

- start -

No government money has gone into Rutan’s program. Aviation Week magazine quotes
him as saying, “I believe the government is the reason it’s unaffordable to fly
into space.”

- end -

(that article's old, it has SpaceShipOne landing at Edwards, which is not the
current plan)

I agree! With respect to space travel, "Government is not the solution to the
problem, it IS the problem"(1), here as in so many other areas. And NASA is my
favorite agency, the rest are worse.

from space.com:

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/SS1_spaceport_040618.html

the FAA licensed Mojave just in time. I suspect (without any basis) Rutan may
not have really cared one way or the other but the forms must be observed, I
guess.

I found it interesting that space.com has chosen to quote a bunch of government
experts essentially saying "this isn't very important". Their slant seems to be
showing a bit, which surprised me. It may not be a direct precursor to orbital
ops but it's important all right.

1 - quoted without attribution, because if you don't recognise the quote you
haven't been paying attention the last 25 years, and if you recognise it, but
complain about the lack of attribution anyway, you're not worth talking to,
you're at the wrong level of discourse, straining at gnats and passing camels.