 Off-Topic / Debate / 24472
24471  |  24473
Subject:
Only nations can generate patriotic pride (Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 04:33:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
It's hard to feel patriotic about commercial ventures.

An interesting idea - a distinction that had never really occurred to me before.

To me the government is just an expression Australian-ness, not at all unlike an
Australian company is another expression, as are our (non-governmental) sporting
teams, and the Country Women's Association.  Each is more or less a source of
patriotic feelings depending on how well they express Australian-ness.

No doubt most governments would be thrilled to have an exclusive right to
patriotic behaviour, but surely it resides in the people, not the government...

Don't get me wrong, government is critically important (like say, a decent
sewerage system), but its highest achievement is to be just a tool.

Richard
Still baldly going...