 Off-Topic / Debate / 24489
Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:32:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, J. Spencer Rezkalla wrote:

Each and every one a bad decision. You're making my point for me. NASA wanted to
be shut of the Saturn any way it could, and it's a typical bureacratic tactic to
get rid of (or build) one thing that no one will notice, then use that as
justification for the next, till you've got the whole thing gone (or built, as
the case may be)

Did it? Wasn't it Congress who wasn't too keen on buying more Saturns and cut
the remaining moon missions and all the cool future Apollo applications projects
that NASA DID want.

True. But it's difficult if not impossible to divorce NASA and Congress. NASA
does what Congress tells it to do.

The shuttle was then sold as a way to get more
bang-for-the-buck and as a way to possibly entice Congress into throwing bucks
for more additional space stuff in the future. Of course it didn't quite work
out that way.

Why would you want to keep any of it? Your actual point is the Saturn should
never have been exchanged for the shuttle program in the first place,

You're sort of trying to put words in my mouth here and I have to correct you,
I'm afraid...

No, the point is why (in 1969) kill off or plan to kill off a perfectly good
program for heavy lift? NASA should have fought harder to keep it. While the
blame mostly goes to Congress. the REAL point is that government is wasteful and
inefficient. Even the best parts, like NASA.

not that
once the shuttle was approved, NASA took deliberate steps by destroying the
infrastructure to insure the Saturn could no longer be used and couldn't be kept
as a future option.

Do you deny that they did this? Whether their hand was forced by Congress or
whether they decided to burn their bridges behind them or whatever, it was
nevertheless, at the time, and now in hindsight, a bad decision.

I can't see any economic justification for paying to keep
just part of the Saturn system potentially viable for all these years.

Me either. Not my point. The whole system should have been kept. Tooling was
just the most visible part.

There are
enough heavy lift shuttle deriviative concepts that would make better sense now
anyway.

NOW there are. But not then.

Imagine a different world in which we saw dozens of Saturn launches a year,
building up space manufacturing infrastructure. By now we'd have the flying cars
we were promised. (rhetorical comment)

Killing off Saturn was a stupid thing to do, no matter who you pin the blame on.
And no matter who it is, it's someone in government.

QED.

Killing off Saturn is just one of many things that NASA, or if you like,
government in general, has done to hobble commercial space.