 Off-Topic / Debate / 24506
Re: Only nations can generate patriotic pride (Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:54:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:

Don't get me wrong, government is critically important (like say, a decent
sewerage system), but its highest achievement is to be just a tool.

My sewerage system is completely privately owned and works just fine.

Who makes sure of that; you or the government? Who tests WWTW discharges; you or
the government?

The type of sewerage handling systems that I may install are defined by building
code.  So I guess, the government.  Discharge testing at the site (I'm running
with septic) is done prior to accepting the design as legal.  I'm actually not
sure what happens with the waste that's taken away.  But I'm again sure that the
government regulates that.

On the other hand, I'd rather have a lagoon and actually process my own waste
completely on site.  And even more than that, I'd prefer to be composting all
our household waste.  That's a project for the house after next, though.

I assume your local sewerage operator runs a monopoly?

Sewerage is handled on a house by house basis for miles around me.

Chris