 Off-Topic / Debate / 26094
26093  |  26095
Subject:
A friend at the FAA? (Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 13:48:03 GMT

When in LMF(1) mode I tend to scorn all governmental types, especially those at
regulatory agencies. But in my more rational/pragmatic moments I realise there
*are* gradations, and some regulators *are* better than others. Here is an
example of someone that might well be "better than most".

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1096841409394&call_pageid=968332188854&col=968350060724&tacodalogin=no

Ms. Blakey has said she will do all in her power to make sure that the FAA acts
reasonably with regard to licensing and regulating commercial space vehicles.

LMF: not good enough. Pragmatist: Yaay!

Note that Marion Blakey is *also* the FAA admin that gets (most of?/all of) the
credit for the new rules on Sport Aircraft/Sport Pilot licenses, hailed by many
as a major advance in general aviation. Many hope these new license/class type
will be bringing cost down and raising accessibility significantly.

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/271-full.html (not necessarily the
best coverage of that out there, just the first I could find)

Note also that Private Pilot(2) this month related a story from AirVenture... no
idea if it's true or not. Harrison Ford (who is behind a major new push for
young pilot training/enabling) was invited to fly in an ultralite... he demurred
saying he valued his life expectancy. Marion on hearing that said "I'll go!" and
did. The editor used that to get all weirdy about women in aviation but it's an
interesting story.

1 - Libertarian Macho Flash
2 - I've been considering taking up a more expensive hobby than LEGO. General
Aviation is a very good candidate... although burning up piles of 100 dollar
bills is about the same cost and marginally safer, it's not nearly as much fun
as flying in a light aircraft. (I've been at the controls (while in flight) of
the following: Cessna: 152, 170, 172, Piper: Cub, Comanche Twin, Beechcraft:
Bonanza, DeHavilland: Beaver (floatplane) )