 Off-Topic / Debate / 24515
Re: Only nations can generate patriotic pride (Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:06:06 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   As per my reply to Chris I wasn’t actually saying that governments should run sewerage, only that government is critically important, like sewerage is critically important.

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I do hope you can see why we all misinterpreted your original wording though.

It is a minor point, but I thought he was succinct: “Don’t get me wrong, government is critically important (like say, a decent sewerage system), but its highest achievement is to be just a tool.” It was CW’s response which shaped things.

If he had said “Don’t get me wrong, government is critically important (like say, clean air), but its highest achievement is to be just a tool.” what would have changed?

Further, government is very important. It’s less noticable how important when it’s functioning correctly.

Just like a “decent sewerage system” perhaps? ;)

Scott A