 Off-Topic / Debate / 24708
Re: Only nations can generate patriotic pride (Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 20:20:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:
It's hard to feel patriotic about commercial ventures.

An interesting idea - a distinction that had never really occurred to me
before.

<snip>

Don't get me wrong, government is critically important (like say, a decent
sewerage system), but its highest achievement is to be just a tool.

I've been busy building for the last couple weeks, but I've finally got a chance
to come back and read through this mess again.  Much as others missed the intent
of your sewer comment, I think you missed the intent of my patriotism comment.
I wasn't saying that you can only feel patriotic about your national
{government} (indeed, many patriotic people feel the government is corrupt), but
about your nation.  The dictionary definition states that patriotism is love and
zeal for your nation.

I'm also not saying that you can't feel any sort of pride for the activities of
private enterprise, but I feel a different sort of "they did good" pride than
the "we did good" pride I feel when I watch our athletes compete in the Olympic
Games.