 Off-Topic / Debate / 24486
Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:17:12 GMT

Each and every one a bad decision. You're making my point for me. NASA wanted to
be shut of the Saturn any way it could, and it's a typical bureacratic tactic to
get rid of (or build) one thing that no one will notice, then use that as
justification for the next, till you've got the whole thing gone (or built, as
the case may be)

Did it? Wasn't it Congress who wasn't too keen on buying more Saturns and cut
the remaining moon missions and all the cool future Apollo applications projects
that NASA DID want. The shuttle was then sold as a way to get more
bang-for-the-buck and as a way to possibly entice Congress into throwing bucks
for more additional space stuff in the future. Of course it didn't quite work
out that way.

Why would you want to keep any of it? Your actual point is the Saturn should
never have been exchanged for the shuttle program in the first place, not that
once the shuttle was approved, NASA took deliberate steps by destroying the
infrastructure to insure the Saturn could no longer be used and couldn't be kept
as a future option. I can't see any economic justification for paying to keep
just part of the Saturn system potentially viable for all these years. There are
enough heavy lift shuttle deriviative concepts that would make better sense now
anyway.

Spencer