 Off-Topic / Debate / 24483
Re: Some good news for a change, maybe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:31:15 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, J. Spencer Rezkalla wrote:

All of the Saturn tooling is no more.

(I should have said 'and infrastructure')

NASA admitted they did that on purpose to "focus efforts on the shuttle".
Arguably the Saturns would have been really great Big Dumb Boosters if heavy
lift was something that NASA was really interested in.

Well of course they did. Is there any reason to spend money to preserve and
maintain the tooling viability for a rocket that can no longer be launched?

Nope. But if you get rid of one element then it becomes easier to justify
getting rid of the rest. The tooling was just the last thing to go in a whole
sorry parade of wanton waste and destruction.

All
the existing Saturn launch infrastructure was modified for shuttle use. The
launch towers are gone, the mobile service structure, extensive mods in the VAB,
and a bunch of other geek level stuff.

Each and every one a bad decision. You're making my point for me. NASA wanted to
be shut of the Saturn any way it could, and it's a typical bureacratic tactic to
get rid of (or build) one thing that no one will notice, then use that as
justification for the next, till you've got the whole thing gone (or built, as
the case may be)