 Off-Topic / Debate / 24710
Re: We'll take in your poor, your homeless, your oppressed...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 01:26:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

Furthermore, it wasn't a question on how I'd feel about the Holocaust, but
rather an *assumption* - which is both offensive and ignorant, not to mention
against the spirit of debate.

I put a question mark behind my question to show that it wasn't an assumption.
You assumed incorrectly that I was making an assumption.

I would have used a more recent example from Africa, but I couldn't remember the
name of the country involved in the recent genocide there, so I fell back on a
more familiar example.

The essence of this is the question: What's so important about sovereignty?

I think about it like this: What is the opposite of sovereignty?  It is the rule
of a people by someone not representative of the people (empire).  Even a
dictator needs the support of his people to be successful.  The dictator will at
least have a support base, and the dictator will act to benefit that support
base.

No.  A dictator needs the support of some KEY people.  He will act to benefit
that support base, but that may well be by slaughtering everyone else.
Basically, what you are saying is that anyone in power must have support,
therefore he is "sovereign" and therefore can do what he wants.  It's a logic
train built on faulty tracks.

Sovereignty is the effort of a people to look out for their own interests as it
applies to themselves.  History has shown that when people act in their own
interests (democracy, capitalism, etc) things tend to work out better for them.

But sovereignty as has been defined by you is whomever the U.N. recognizes as
sovereign is so, irrespective of support.

-->Bruce<--