 Off-Topic / Debate / 24455
Re: Fair use and allusion?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:26:27 GMT

I’m sure both Moore & Bradbury are enjoying the publicity. It’s interesting to see the rather partisan spilt in opinions expressed in this thread...

Scott A

   Ray Bradbury is fired up about the title of Michael Moore’s forthcoming film. Regardless of your opinion of Moore or of Bradbury, it seems to me that this complaint is largely based on nothing. Bradbury’s Farenheit 451 is a copyrighted work, to be sure, but it seems to me that the laws protecting satire & parody should easily trump Bradbury’s objection to Moore’s allusive use of the title. I suppose an issue could be made in that Bradbury was apparently made to expect an explanatory phone call from Moore, but beyond that...?

Thoughts?