 Off-Topic / Debate / 24457
Re: 9/11 Panel: No Evidence Connecting Iraq to Al Qaeda
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:20:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   It’s also funny that Clinton is still ridiculed for discussing the meaning of is as it pertained to a legal extramarital affair between two adults, but no one in the media is complaining about Dubya’s wholesale manipulation of language.

I think I know why. The stakes are so much higher now that it is too horrifying to accept. Most people I know, as far as I can figure, simply refuse to believe that President Bush was lying to us the whole time to gain approval to pursue his own agenda. I think that with all the lives that have been lost, many people are just unwilling to accept the evidence. When it was Clinton, nothing but self-respect was at stake.

I’m not interested in making fun of ‘the masses’ for this. I think it’s a fascinating social phenomenon. It seems like you can point to most of our wars and see similar acceptance. I wonder how this played out with Vietnam...anyone out there old enough to discuss it (I was born a few months after my dad was drafted).

I’m not “old enough”, but it’s my feeling that the Vitenam War was perpetuated by anti-communist hysteria and an unwillingness to concede defeat. Ordinary Americans thought they were doing the right thing, but when service men started refusing to fight the whole thing was blown open.

Nixon: “I would rather be a one-term President and do what I believe is right than to be a two-term President at the cost of seeing America become a second-rate power and to see this Nation accept the first defeat in its proud 190-year history.”

Spellman: “This war in Vietnam is, I believe, a war for civilization. Certainly it is not a war of our seeking. It is a war thrust upon us and we cannot yield to tyranny.”

Scott A

Chris