 Off-Topic / Debate / 24350
Re: 9/11 Panel: No Evidence Connecting Iraq to Al Qaeda
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 01:36:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   It’s also funny that Clinton is still ridiculed for discussing the meaning of is as it pertained to a legal extramarital affair between two adults, but no one in the media is complaining about Dubya’s wholesale manipulation of language.

I think I know why. The stakes are so much higher now that it is too horrifying to accept. Most people I know, as far as I can figure, simply refuse to believe that President Bush was lying to us the whole time to gain approval to pursue his own agenda. I think that with all the lives that have been lost, many people are just unwilling to accept the evidence. When it was Clinton, nothing but self-respect was at stake.

I’m not interested in making fun of ‘the masses’ for this. I think it’s a fascinating social phenomenon. It seems like you can point to most of our wars and see similar acceptance. I wonder how this played out with Vietnam...anyone out there old enough to discuss it (I was born a few months after my dad was drafted).

You might find this site amusing, in its discussions of why and how US involvement in WWI, WWII and WWIII was orchestrated.

I had a learned friend of mine ernestly suggesting that the US administration had had a plan to join in WWII predating the rhetoric about staying clear, and baiting Germany and Japan into an overtly predatory strike in order to enlist public opinion. I had exactly the reaction you’re talking about (wait a minute, many lives were at stake, I cannot accept that they would have been prepared to do this). I have become so sceptical of the modern spin and lies that I was prepared to accept it of statesmen of the present, but not of the past. On reflection over the weekend, I started to wonder whether it was not just my enthusiasm for the lessons of the past that was leaving me more accepting of less nefarious intentions of the leaders of the past, and that the spin and lies were just not as overt, nor open to such review as now. Research ensues, and turns up, among other things this site.

I don’t know enough about it yet to know how to judge it as a source, but regardless, its a fine example of the conspiracy theory art. The few references that I have so far checked have come up roses.

Richard
Still baldly going...