 Off-Topic / Debate / 24349
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:41:58 GMT

   For the record, I would state expressly that rights are social constructs

No No No. Not to our FF. Rights are given by God, or Nature’s God, or however you want to characterize our Creator. This is key, because if rights are granted by anything else, they are easily taken away.

Um, these rights are already very easy to take away. George W. Bush has, for example, taken them away from a whole bunch of people, both as Governor and as President, both here and abroad. Is Dubya so powerful that he can supplant the Will of God? I’m quite sure that that’s not your meaning, but how do you otherwise explain the ease with which divinely-endowed rights are usurped?

In any case, a socially-constructed right that can be taken away is not readily distinguishable from a divinely-granted right that can be taken away (at least, not without appealing to the hereafter, about which no one is qualified to comment definitively (except to say “we don’t have objective access to that information”)). If anyone disagrees, I would greatly enjoy reading an explanation of how socially-constructed and divinely-endowed rights are materially different.

This part of our debate sounds dangerously close to CS Lewis’ wacky notion of “natural law” as it pertains to human morality (in “Mere Christianity,” for example). Lewis was completely incorrect on this count, and similar claims that rights are handed down by (insert divine source here) are similarly flawed.

   and should take into account the opinions and values of as many subsets of society as possible, while granting absolute authority to none.

This sounds good, but how to implement? Seems to me to be a recipe of stalemate and division.

But that’s the price of a disciplined democracy. And what is the alternative? The current blueblood oligarchy that gets to act as it chooses without any accountability?

   The will of the people must be honored.

   Lynch mobs were organized according to the will of the people. Do you assert that their will must therefore be honored?

I don’t condone cold-blooded murder, no matter how many call for it.

Okay, now we’re getting somewhere! You’re identifying that there must be limits on the will of the people, and I agree. The difference, in this case, is where we choose to apply those limits.

Dave!