 Off-Topic / Debate / 24365
Re: 9/11 Panel: No Evidence Connecting Iraq to Al Qaeda
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:28:10 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:
   9/11 Panel: No Evidence Connecting Iraq to Al Qaeda

Not surprisingly, Dubya is still clinging to his “admit no error policy.”

Steve Bell gets it right again:

Here are a few lies of omission worth noting:

“This administration never said that the 9-11 attacks were orchestrated between Saddam and al-Qaida,” he said.

Even in the last few days Cheney and Powell have been implying a substantive link between Iraq and Al Qaeda, and for many months members of the administration including, but not limited to Dubya, Cheney, Rice, Powell, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Perle, and Ridge have deliberately constructed their rhetoric to keep Iraq and Al Qaeda adjacent in the public’s memory. At the very best, such careless fearmongering is dishonest and irresponsible. At worst, it is treasonous. I’m hoping that it will be recognized as the latter.

“We did say there were numerous contacts between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaida, for example, Iraqi intelligence agents met with (Osama) bin Laden, the head of al-Qaida in the Sudan.”

Of course, Dubya does not say that the meeting resulted in Iraq’s refusal to allow Al Qaeda to use Iraq’s territory and resources for terrorist training. Instead, Dubya omits that key fact and allows the implication of collusion to stand.

For all of his idiocy in terms of domestic policy, Dubya is actually much better at performing cowardly legalistic gymnastics to hide from accountability.

For example, imagine that someone finds a tape of Dubya making the following claims:

“We have definitive evidence that Iraq orchestrated 9/11 with Al Qaida.”

Well, he can still say “We never said that Saddam orchestrated it. We said that Iraq orchestrated it.” A deceitful but technically correct answer.

Blair on WMD: “Saddam retained complete strategic intent to develop those weapons”.

Scott A