 Off-Topic / Debate / 24351
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 03:03:07 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   Take a look around. I think you are denying the obvious. What would you assert the foundation of our society is?

No one thing!!!

And....?

You keep asserting that the nuclear family is the foundation of society. I guess I thought you meant that the nuclear family is the foundation of society. Silly me.

All I am asking is upon what do you believe our society is based. If you think it is a myriad of things, fine. What are they?

   It wouldn’t erode at the fabric of marriage as a “sacred” institution.

Excuse me? It would completely change it!

It would improve it!

Upon what exactly do you base your assertion?

   It wouldn’t erode at the “foundation” of society.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I think you left out some of the respect due.

What I mean is that you are asserting things for which you have absolutely no basis. You are talking about the unknown as if it were known.

   We would just be normallizing relations with one of the many groups that are harmed dramatically and daily by the majority in this country.

“Harmed dramatically”??? Please! What in the world are you talking about?

Subjugating citizens to a second-class status,

Say again? Cites, please.

   denying them rights,

Which RIGHTS? Cites, please.

   and further emphasizing the scant difference between them and the norm based on a difference that harms no one,

Do you claim to know the social and psychological ramifications of teaching little Suzy and Jimmy in Kindergarten that they can marry a boy or a girl? Or 2 boys and 1 girl, or any other combination you can think of?

   is genetic and unpreventable,

Cites, please.

   and trivial is dramatic harm. What did you think I was talking about?

I have no idea.

   I didn’t say it was the norm, just the foundation.

So nuclear families were the norm for sixty of the 1000 years of our (western) culture’s history and you get to call it the foundation? Do you hear how dumb that sounds?

What sounds dumb is the assertion that the nuclear family is a construct dating back 60 years. The institution of marriage is very old. I’m not sure what exactly you are talking about.

100 years ago, most people lived in family units with at least three generations present.

Many still do today. I don’t consider that a valid variation from the nuclear family structure model.

   That is now quite uncommon (though certainly not unheard of) in the US. The nuclear family replaced family clans about 70-100 years ago as the norm. Since then, it has evolved on to the next step.

   What does govern animal behavior then, Tom? Reason? Ethics? Religion?

Satisfaction of preference just like ours.

So you are claiming that animals have emotions? Any proof of that?

I hadn’t claimed that, but I’m certainly willing to. What proof would you accept?

Any scientific study, for starters.

   Animals (even those as simple as house cats -- who I happen to think have a much broader mode of emotional expression than do dogs) clearly have moods, in the commonly understood human sense. How could moods be possible without emotion? Just instinct?

Without scientific study? How about anthropomorphizing.

JOHN