 Off-Topic / Debate / 24371
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:43:39 GMT

John, I want to go back and apologize for saying that one thing or another that you wrote sounds dumb. It was a stupid way for me to communicate.

   All I am asking is upon what do you believe our society is based. If you think it is a myriad of things, fine. What are they?

OK, I’ll approach this seriously. To claim that our society is “founded” upon any thing(s) (by which we mean social institutions, I think) is to claim that our society was purposely built. I think (hope!) that we can claim that this is largely a misrepresentation. Our society (and here we may have to define what it is exactly that we mean) has evolved over thousands of years and at root shares foundation with all societies. Now, because we’re going to continue to discuss foundational principles, it’s worth defining what makes something qualify as one. And I’m not sure. Under any set of definitions that is inclusive of many such social institutions, marriage seems like fair game.

But, to reflect back on one of Dave Eaton’s points, once, so was slavery. It was another institution that was harmful to a minority and was part of the bedrock of our social environment. And we did away with it and now universally revile it as wicked. I hope that’s what is happening with the exclusionary marriage institution.

Does this discussion satisfy you? I know that you asked for a list of foundational issues, but I think this is apropos.

   It wouldn’t erode at the fabric of marriage as a “sacred” institution.

Excuse me? It would completely change it!

It would improve it!

Upon what exactly do you base your assertion?

When you say that marriage would be “completely” changed, what do you mean? how, for instance, would it affect your marriage? How would it affect (especially adversely) the marriage prospects for your children? I agree that it would change it -- as noted above, I think it would be improved. I think that society would benefit from the inclusion of homosexualls fully into the social and cultural spheres of our life. I think that homosexuality has an important role in nature with regard to resource collection and disbursement and I see no reason that humans shouldn’t take advantage of that. My marriage is not in the slightest harmed by the fact that homosexuals are marrying in Massachusetts and I think that more options for my kids is a good thing.

   It wouldn’t erode at the “foundation” of society.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I think you left out some of the respect due.

What I mean is that you are asserting things for which you have absolutely no basis. You are talking about the unknown as if it were known.

I believe one thing and you believe another. They are both educated conjecture. How is your wild-ass guess any better than mine?

   We would just be normallizing relations with one of the many groups that are harmed dramatically and daily by the majority in this country.

“Harmed dramatically”??? Please! What in the world are you talking about?

Subjugating citizens to a second-class status,

Say again? Cites, please.

Um...like what? I’m not even sure what part of it you’re disagreeing with? We do not accord the legal perks to gay partners that we do to straight partners. How is that in doubt? What can I cite?

   denying them rights,

Which RIGHTS? Cites, please.

The right to marry. The right to pursue happiness. The right to carry on his private business in his own way. The right to unlimited contract.

What do you want for citations? Read the Constitution of the United States. Read the Uniform Commercial Code. Read the findings of the Supreme Court.

   and further emphasizing the scant difference between them and the norm based on a difference that harms no one,

Do you claim to know the social and psychological ramifications of teaching little Suzy and Jimmy in Kindergarten that they can marry a boy or a girl? Or 2 boys and 1 girl, or any other combination you can think of?

I have read no study of such treatment, but I can guess. I was explicitly raised with the notion that I could love men instead of women and would remain an equally valuable member of my family community. That does not say anything about marriage, but it’s something. My kids are raised with the same understanding -- and in a world where marriage is a likely option. My kids are also raised with an understanding of polyamory as a valid life option -- to the extent that I can provide it. So far, there’s no harmful effects showing up.

What do you specifically imagine the “social and psychological ramifications” of such teaching to be? And do you know what the social and psychological ramifications are to the child that is told that they can not? I am much more fearful of the ramifications to a homosexual child who is shamed for his innate being than these hypothetical reactions of children to open-minded rearing.

   is genetic and unpreventable,

Cites, please.

I’ll retract both claims. I suspect it is genetic and thus, preventable through gene therapy. But it may not be. It might be entirely physio-environmental. What I do know for sure is that it’s not a choice. I spent a good deal of my time during my 20th and 21st year trying to be gay and I simply could not. If it were a choice (as I believed before trying) I would have succeeded. If it’s a choice, then you could turn off the attraction you hold for your wife and start grooving and guy’s asses. Can you?

   100 years ago, most people lived in family units with at least three generations present.

Many still do today. I don’t consider that a valid variation from the nuclear family structure model.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking to avoid by starting the whole conversation with a dictionary definition that we could agree to. Now, after arguing in circles, it turns out that you actually reject the dictionary that we both claimed to accept.

   What does govern animal behavior then, Tom? Reason? Ethics? Religion?

Satisfaction of preference just like ours.

So you are claiming that animals have emotions? Any proof of that?

I hadn’t claimed that, but I’m certainly willing to. What proof would you accept?

Any scientific study, for starters.

Do you have any scientific study that lends evidence to the hypothesis that humans have emotions? Your request is absurd. We would have to quantifiably define the nature of emotion and what tests would validly detect said states. Then do a review of the literature for studies that were closely aligned to the quantification method that we agreed to. If we found any such studies (and it may well be that we would not) you would have nearly infinite wiggle room to claim that it’s not exactly what we agreed to. Frankly, I don’t believe you want to know the truth about this. If you did, just spending time with animals would be enough.

   Animals (even those as simple as house cats -- who I happen to think have a much broader mode of emotional expression than do dogs) clearly have moods, in the commonly understood human sense. How could moods be possible without emotion? Just instinct?

Without scientific study? How about anthropomorphizing.

Are you purposely not answering? Or are you claiming that my perception of the animals’ moods is completely in my mind and that, in fact, they behave exactly without variation across their lives?

Chris