 Off-Topic / Debate / 24370
Re: Gay Marriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:52:04 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:

   The Ten Commandments say to honor thy father and mother, and not to commit adultery. Now, I agree that those are great moral rules, and I’ll do my best to abide by them-- but it’s not the government’s place to tell me to behave morally.

Again, I agree. What consenting adults do isn’t my business (as long as it is legal).

But you also seem to believe that the majority should be able to make anything illegal if it offends their sensibilities. Right?

   Not the unions, but the standardization of such unions. I am primarily concerned with the education of our children. I think that such obfuscation of gender would be damaging and unnecessarily destructive to their development.

Why? John, you have asserted time and again that I can’t know what the result of making the changes that I advocate are. But how can you know? First, I think that gender and sexual preference are not linked. I’ve known very masculine homosexual men. I’ve also known lots (maybe 20?) people who were clearly bisexual (I don’t mean someone who tried it once while drunk). Their bisexuality in no way seemed to interfere with their gender portrayal. And in any case, these people are a significant minority. It seems there will remain a big majority of men who only want to screw women and women who only want to screw men. What harm will fall on our children (mine are 2.5 and nearly 10, so if you can cite something plausible, I’m genuinely interested) if those people who fall outside that norm in sexual preference are granted equity in our society?

   I’d also point out that I have yet to see any evidence that same-sex marriage (and relationships) actually WOULD harm anything.

If gay marriage became normative, say just another option, I see it as an extremely confusing matter to young kids. “Billy, when you grow up, are you going to marry a boy or a girl? Why a girl? What is wrong with a boy, Billy? Perhaps you should try both before you decide.”

What’s so confusing about that? And bear in mind that kids raised in such a world (as mine are!) have no trouble dealing with it. You are looking at it from a perspective of having already been raised a different way. And frankly, if the child has yearnings inside to experiment sexually with both other sexes, then I think (s)he should try both before deciding...or maybe never decide and instead continue to relate sexually to members of both sexes.

   Certainly it might affect the victorian sense of secrecy that’s surrounded the issue in years past,

With the advent of MTV and shows like “Loveline”, I think we can dispense with any illusions that there is any secrecy left about sex for today’s teens.

Thankfully! Sexual taboo is very destructive.

   and as such make it more socially acceptable to the mainstream. But how does that actually negatively affect anything? I guess the only outcome that I can see is that helps to increase sexual tolerances, hence breeding less hatred between hetero- and homo-sexuals, which, to me, sounds like a Good Thing (tm). Where’s the negativity?

Sex is a private matter to me. I don’t want to know your sexual preference because it doesn’t matter to me.

Unless I want to get married...

   So why is it so important to some gays to shove my nose into their sexuality?

For the same reason that black pride exists. Because those human beings chafe under the rule of tyrany.

   Gay parades? Please. Rainbow stickers? What is the point of that? There is something bizarre about defining oneself WRT to one’s sexuality. There’s a little more to life than sex!

What about Irish parades on St. Patty’s day? What about hanging Norwegian flags on your home? What about stickers on the car that advocate your stance on abortion or your favorite popular musical performers? Is there something bizarre about how all those people define themselves?

   I’m curious-- I hear this time and again, that “Oh, that’s not what our founding fathers intended!”. Does it actually matter what they intended? Shouldn’t we do what’s right, and not what they wanted us to do? I mean, aren’t these the same guys who allowed slavery? If tradition is unjust or immoral, don’t we have a just or moral obligation to *change* that tradition?

How is defining marriage as the union of 1 man and 1 women “immoral”? That’s just crazy!

I’d actually like to hear your answer to Dave’s question.

(For the record, I agree that our founders almost certainly thought of marriage as between one man and one woman -- that’s what it means under English common law, in which it is a recognized right of the people. Though they purposely wrote about free association in broad terms.)

Chris