 Off-Topic / Debate / 24369
Re: Gay Marriage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:34:08 GMT

   The definition of marriage is the union of one man and one women.

A definition. NOT The definition. This point seems lost on you.

What is your point? Don’t be such a coward. Define it!

I’m not sure why you’re missing my point.

I’m OK with any sort of union between any number of people (or, if in future other species are uplifted or discovered such that they can give informed consent) or other species as long as everyone involved has given informed consent.

I’m opposed to government expressing a preference for a particular sort of union by giving it preferential treatment, or a particular label that confers blessing. Government ought not to be in the business of expressing preferences for one sort of action over another as long as neither harms rights.

Either call all of these unions “Marriage”, license them all without expressing preference, or get government out of the marriage licensing business altogether.

   Which is why you lose the debate. By definition.

You mean by changing definition.

I’m not sure it’s changed. I think you’re just using a narrow definition. The Koran says a man may marry up to 4 wives, so it’s not a new thing that the definition isn’t what you think it is.

You say this is a culture war. Bad answer. But... Well, if it’s war you want, then war it is you’ll get and you’re going down. Big time. Intolerance cannot be tolerated.

I need to put a rainbow sticker on my car, I guess.