 Off-Topic / Debate / 24294
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 23:12:29 GMT

   Take a look around. I think you are denying the obvious. What would you assert the foundation of our society is?

No one thing!!!

And....?

You keep asserting that the nuclear family is the foundation of society. I guess I thought you meant that the nuclear family is the foundation of society. Silly me.

   It wouldn’t erode at the fabric of marriage as a “sacred” institution.

Excuse me? It would completely change it!

It would improve it!

   It wouldn’t erode at the “foundation” of society.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I think you left out some of the respect due.

   We would just be normallizing relations with one of the many groups that are harmed dramatically and daily by the majority in this country.

“Harmed dramatically”??? Please! What in the world are you talking about?

Subjugating citizens to a second-class status, denying them rights, and further emphasizing the scant difference between them and the norm based on a difference that harms no one, is genetic and unpreventable, and trivial is dramatic harm. What did you think I was talking about?

   I didn’t say it was the norm, just the foundation.

So nuclear families were the norm for sixty of the 1000 years of our (western) culture’s history and you get to call it the foundation? Do you hear how dumb that sounds?

What sounds dumb is the assertion that the nuclear family is a construct dating back 60 years. The institution of marriage is very old. I’m not sure what exactly you are talking about.

100 years ago, most people lived in family units with at least three generations present. That is now quite uncommon (though certainly not unheard of) in the US. The nuclear family replaced family clans about 70-100 years ago as the norm. Since then, it has evolved on to the next step.

   What does govern animal behavior then, Tom? Reason? Ethics? Religion?

Satisfaction of preference just like ours.

So you are claiming that animals have emotions? Any proof of that?

I hadn’t claimed that, but I’m certainly willing to. What proof would you accept? Animals (even those as simple as house cats -- who I happen to think have a much broader mode of emotional expression than do dogs) clearly have moods, in the commonly understood human sense. How could moods be possible without emotion? Just instinct?

Chris