 Off-Topic / Debate / 24293
Re: Question for the Conservatives out there
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:57:34 GMT

   It affects you and me because of the culture that will be formed based on such values. I don’t want to live in such a sick culture and I don’t want my culture contaminated with such values.

I think you just said that it’s sick because it’s sick. Is that really what you meant?

   So you are expressly stating that the rights of the minority are subject to the whim of the majority?

So you are expressly stating that the rights of the majority are subject to the whim of the minority?

I have, over and over -- across the years, claimed that the rights of the majority and the minority must both be set up so that they do not conflict and so that they prevent victimization. You (regardless of whether you are part of a minority or the majority) should not have the right to legislate aesthetics such that non-victimizing behavior on the part of other citizens (likewise regardless of their place within the national popularity contest) is illegal. Only when *someone* is harmed do you have the right to limit the behavior of the person doing the harm.

There is no whim involved.

Chris