 Inventories / 268
Re: Peeron inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inv
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 20:02:07 GMT

In lugnet.inv, Timothy Gould wrote:
--snip--

Dave:
It is not my purpose to be insulting; I call things like I see them.  I am
almost 60 and I was a little less blunt when I was 30.  Now at this age, I call
black black and white white.  I have been 30 and was a bit less direct. I doubt
that you have been 60 while I have been 30.  I could be wrong.  I have collected
Lego for more years than most of the users of Lugnet have been alive.  My point
of being direct is that need to be fixed and this is the opportunity to do so.
I have no patience for people that accept less than 100% when they publish
something.  So I do not believe that I insulted, but I was straight forward.  I
do not want people to help me; I want people and myself to help Peeron.  I find
their use of that help missing.
As to 95% errors, it does not matter if it is one part or 100, an incorrect
inventory is an incorrect inventory.  If you were counting a million dollars at
a bank and you were off by 500 someone would want the error corrected.
95% of the close to 900 sets that I have inventoried is a better statistical
sample that 50.  Even at 20% that is a very large number.  One in five you
cannot trust.  I am saying that 95 in 100 you cannot trust.
I am not saying it out of spite either.  It is a fact and, as I mentioned, I
call it like I see it.  And the problem is not the errors, you missed the point
of my post completely, the problem is with them not correcting the errors.  2
years ago I sent a part correction, three different types of large hinge plates.
To this date they have not fixed that.  So it is not impatience.  Several months
have passed since I sent in the corrections of 001 and that has not been
corrected and the inventory is on the box and Peeron is way off.  I have bought
around 5 sets on ebay that say they were verified with Peeron; guess what, they
were all incorrect.
I am patient and the whole purpose of this is to have a correct inventory and I
call it like I see it.  It takes a lot of time to find the part #, take the
picture (for missing box pictures), email this all to Peeron and find nothing is
changed.  I have another 6000 or so sets to inventory so my time is dear to me.
Hopefully you will see my point, I just would like them to use the stuff I am
sending in.  For some I have waited a half year and it has not been changed,
please define patience in this context.
John

I've got a good idea for you John. Since you are retired, OCD and have already
re-inventoried 1000 sets why don't you start a new database. Since you have done
the checking that will be a new 1000 set inventory database up to the 100%
standard you expect. Since according to you Peeron is only good for 5% of 5000
sets (or 250 sets) then your database will be four times as big. You can even
offer it for free the the community like Dan does.

Otherwise, why don't you quite you whinging. Making demands of people who
volunteer their time is rude. That's calling black black by the way. If Dan was
charging for the service you would have a right to complain (and stop paying if
you felt the need) but since he is not you have minimal say in what he should or
shouldn't do.

Tim

One thing is that I don't have the knowledge to do a data base on the web or the
time.  I am not too sure what whinging is.  I am sure that there is income from
the Amazon banner and I use it whenever I buy from Amazon and that is quite
often. I also believe that income is generated from the Brinklink stores that
advertise their items on the inventory page, so it is not a matter of money.  I
would gladly pay for Peeron like I did for Lugnet.  Why don't you stop
complaining about my complaning and help them correct their inventories? I am
not making demands, just asking.  When they ask for corrections and ask you to
send in changes or pictures and then do nothing, that deserves comment.
John