 Inventories / 264
Re: Peeron inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inv
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 18:03:00 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

John, I'm sorry to say this, but I think part of the problem is that you're
being very insulting. It doesn't make people want to help you when you start
accusing them and telling them they're incompetant.

I am finding that 95% of the inventories are incorrect.

I have found that to be untrue. I have built in the vicinity of 50 sets from
Peeron's inventories. Generally, I've done it for a few reasons:

1) verify that a used set that I purchased was complete
2) to build the set again for fun
3) to verify an inventory

To date, of the 50-or-so sets I've built, I've found about 10 with errors. And
every time I've caught an error, I've tried to send it to the Peeron team, and
they've corrected it. So, in my experience, it's more like 20% of sets with
errors.

And to be a little more clear, the sets that have errors often seem to have more
than one. Inaccurate inventories have a few mistakes. But on the plus side, the
majority of the inventory is correct. So an inaccurate inventory may be wrong
for 5 pieces, but that accounts for maybe 2% of the set. And that would make
Peeron about 99.6% accurate. That's roughly what I'd guess for their accuracy
rate. And that's pretty good.

I would suggest not to go by the inventories on Peeron as I have
now sent in 1000 emails with corrections and pictures and most are just
sitting there not being used to correct these inventories.

It seems you are saying this out of spite. And that's unfortunate. You could
have instead chosen to say "be sure to be careful with Peeron inventories, as
there are many inventories with inaccuracies", or something similar.

The hard part is that they have gotten close on many, and miles away on a
few.  I don't know if they now have sponsers so they do not care about the
quality of the product.

The hard part is you seem to blame Dan for this. And that's grossly unfair.

Dan's the tech guy at Peeron. He made the system because it was a neat idea, and
he's a nice guy. He did NOT make the site because he was fed up with
inaccuracies and demanded absolute perfection. Dan isn't the guy to go to when
you have an error on an inventory. Dan's the guy you go to when you notice that
the images aren't displaying correctly, or when the search function is broken.

Anyway, it's like being angry at the Wikipedia. If people contribute bad data,
then that's what you'll get on the site. If people contribute good data, then
*that's* what you'll get.

But it's hardly very gracious of you to say "That free service you're doing for
me that I use all the time sucks because it's got a 1% error margin".

I will list in Lugnet in the comments if the inventory is incorrect and
anyone wanting a correct one can email me. It is rather discourging to do
all this work and Dan won't even answer an email.  I might also add that just
because something is listed as verified it isn't necessarily correct.

I'm very glad you're undertaking such a project. As a bit of a perfectionist
myself, I have to say it's good to see someone who's capable actually going
through the trouble of making sure things are correct. But I will say that you
have to remember that not everyone's a perfectionist. You've got to be both
patient and persistant.

DaveE