 Inventories / 261
Re: Peeron inventories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inv
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:50:12 GMT

I don't know if this will mean anything.

Ok, I have been watching this subject for a while.

To make a long story short I have and still collect sets from different Markets
over the world, such as Asia, Europe, The Americas (Canada,North America,
Central America, South America).  I even buy the same set even if the set has
different box/package look.

During the 1970's, 1980's, and 1990's when LEGO was at there prime, they had lot
of factories such as LEGO Brazil, LEGO South Korea, LEGO Systems, LEGO Canada,
LEGO Japan, LEGO Germany and others.  What I am saying is besides finding extra
elements in a set.  LEGO would redesign sets to save on cost or even finding a
better new element.  This is just one example: LEGO Space line 'Exploriens' Set
#1737 and #6938.  Same set....well not really.  Two different package designs,
two different instructions and one set had fewer pieces.  The set was sold in
different markets with some changes box look.  Always read the fine print on the
box..."Components made in XXXXXX etc." and "Distributed in XXXXXX etc."

I should mention LEGO has in the past sold sets with different package look to
Japan from the USA or Denmark.  Just to give an idea when 'AquaZone' WAS very
HOT during the holidays, LEGO could not produce enough of them in Enfield.  So
LEGO shipped overnight by 'airmail' 2 palents from Denmark straight to LEGO
Imagenation Center store. LEGO Systems, even produce Promotional Airlines in
Enfield, but the sets were shipped back to Denmark, and then distributed to the
airlines.

There are quite few mistakes on 'Peeron' and 'Bricklink', so I don't trust
inventories on both sites.  Because I am not sure what the people are sending in
really?  If the inventory is based on a complete build new set? Or base on what
elements came with the set?

Because there have times in which LEGO has change the design of a set, and send
out the wrong elements or (-/+) off a few elements.

That's why when I read on BrickLink in the Forum 'Catalog change/inventory' too
many times 'Please change add or replace set XXXX'. It can screw up everthing.
The inventory issues on BrickLink or Peeron will never really be 100%.

The bottom line... can't really trust BrickLink (Catalog/Inventories) or Peeron
inventories.  I do agree both sites are helpful, and I do understand it is lot
of work.

And you wonder who to blame? Well... they are human and they make the decisions
and mistakes.  I believe the company in a small town in Denmark.  ;-)

-Abner