 General / 34285
Re: End of Year Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 04:06:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:

The volume of new and odd pieces in recent years seems to counter the
argument that they are trying to keep costs down.  If this were the case,
why are we seeing lines like Jack Stone, Rock Raiders, Bionicle etc. that
use more new pieces than ever before?

Because they can patent new pieces?

This is not a whole theory: it doesn't mean they're all basically useful
inventions, just that it keeps Lego, uh, different.

I guess they get a budget for theme development. Some gets spent on new
parts, some new part ideas get cancelled, the theme gets the "venture
capital exit test (we can save 1 million if we cancel it now instead of next
year)" and then it goes to market to earn its keep, and Fate cuts its cord
in exactly two years. If Wal-Mart asks for one, a new set is allowed to
escape the barn in year two.

I feel like I have just stocked my bomb shelter. I have opened all my brick
tubs and buckets and sorted them into bags with the year stamped on them.
Little survival rations to the future.