 General / 34196
Re: End of Year Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:03:59 GMT

Plougmann states TLC's core product is "materials for open-ended play for
children."  The key part that strikes me is the *open-ended* part.  I just
fail to see how Star Wars sets and Harry Potter themes provide open-ended
play -certainly not at the level that old Town sets did (I'm just using
those as examples, I'm certain other past product lines would fit well
also).  The Jurassic Park, Spielburg, and Department 56 contracts seem to
also lead further from that core spirit.

Cheers,
-Hendo

In the Danish TV News this week they said, that TLC's financial performance
for 2001 was saved by the tremendous succes of the Harry Potter sets.
I think the issue for TLC is timing - if Adventurers had been out ten years
earlier (at the time of the Indy-films), if Dino Island had been out a few
years earlier (at the time of Jurassic-films), they would have been
money-makers as well. With the quick shifts of attention in the toy market
(who remembers Pokemon today?), all toy companies are victims of timing.
TLC is a small toy company, internationally seen.
What they have tried to do is shift strategy from a speciality brand in a
former safe niche (but with growing competition from MegaBlocks etc.) to a
much broader line of toys in order to compete with the giants Hasbro and Mattel.
This is of course doomed to fail. Decades ago Michael Porter was the big
economic guru who convinced the international investors community that
specialicing in few strong areas was the way forward. Unfortunately TLC
chose the opposite way.
As a Dane I'm hurt by the decreasing quality of one of our Nations prides -
Lego. As a business economist I'm shocked by the decreasing quality of
management in what could otherwise be a financial healthy company.

Moans and tears from Copenhagen   -   Arne