 General / 34209
Re: End of Year Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:18:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.general, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.general, Aaron Gershon writes:
[snip]Jack Stone is a joke [snip].
Indeed it is - to most of us, but I know several 3-4 year olds who love it

And apparently Bionicle is selling like crazy.  But does that make it right
for the company to abandon its sense of reason and pursue only fad toys?

Abandon it's sense of reason to sell something that is "selling like crazy",
they are a toymaker not some benevolent institution.

If they read the instructions at all.  From what I've heard from some
parents, the Bionicle 'stuff' is so simplistic the kids often don't even
need the instructions to assemble them.

I could assemble may 651 tow truck set without instructions in 1972...
clearly that was simplistic and of no lasting value... same for my 677
knight's parade... or my 644 TV van

nd once assembled, I've also heard
that they don't take them apart,
That *might* be bad...

other than to build hybrid Bionicles, with
other Bionicle parts.
Oh, so they do take them apart to build other things. Wherease, I presume,
taking apart town sets to build other town things would be okay?

There is little or no intermixing with their
traditional LEGO bricks.
And my daughter doesn't mix her System with her Duplo... and my friends as a
child didn't mix their Duplo with their System (though it wasn't called
system then.) Duplo can mix with System, so is it a crime if it isn't?

I tend to keep my technic seperate from my System.

So what?

I still don't get that 'wow' feeling when had my first look at
catalog from the 80's until the mid '90's.

Don't forget that you're a bit older now, and you may find that other
memories from the 80's and mid '90s seem a bit more exciting now as well ;-).

I'm old enough to have LEGO memories from the early '70's.  They are my best
memories and my most cherished.
Which was my point. The older they get, the more cherished they become. The
summers were hotter, the hailstorms more intense, the watermelon sweeter and
the school holidays longer when I was five. Or at least that's what my
cherished memories tell me, meteorological and school records would probably
disagree (that leaves the watermelon, though ;-))

I doubt that if I ever have kids they will
have the same warm fuzzy feeling about the junk the company is turning out
these days.  If things get any worse... we will play with my collection of
bricks and won't be buying any new sets.

My daughter and her friends get pretty excited about LEGO products today.

If you want to find out what kids think of LEGO, talk to them, not their
parents. Kids memories will come from kids, not their parents.

What the company has to remember is that parents don't *have* to buy these
products.  But shouldn't they *want* to?  Shouldn't they feel good about
spending their money on LEGO products, like parents 25 years ago did?

I certainly feel good about buying my daughter and her friends LEGO. It is
an excellent product of excellent quality with play scope which is
unequalled by anything else.

Cheers

Richie Dulin (who, in 1979, thought that LEGO's introduction of Legoland
Space was a bad thing because it was of limited scope. But who's learned his
lesson.)