 General / 34208
Re: End of Year Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 20:33:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Todd Thuma writes:
A general response to all that has been said in this thread.
<snip>

You bring up some valid points of view in your post...  Just a couple
comments though...

So LEGO Group has tried to bridge this gap with Town Jr. and Jack Stone.

But where does this bridge to??  Without some sort of Town or City sets
designed for an older age bracket (6-12), then they have simply designed a
way to go nowhere.  My impression is that TLC has provided these
younger-themes at the sacrifice of other, equally important ones.  By
bridging the gap you mention, they simply created a new gap further up the
road.  If there is such a need for Town Jr. or Jack Stone, I can accept
that, but it should not be a replacement for a *general* theme elsewhere.
(By 'general' I mean a basic series that is not as tightly framed as the
recent Spielburg, HP, SW, etc.)

Not to belabor this point, but children are spoon-fed imagination and
creativity. ... but children today are not used to having to do that so
they lack the skills and intellectual development.

Does that mean they can't, of course, not. Does it mean the LEGO Group is
responsible for helping children do this? NO! LEGO Group's goal is staying in
business and in today's world of changing markets that's a lot to do.

On that point, I must disagree.  If it is true today's children lack such
imagination (an argument in itself), then I think the *reason* why earlier
generations had such is because of exposure to inspiring toys such as LEGO.
If today's kids can't develop their own stories and designs, then it is
indeed something TLC should provide -that's the *gap* in the toy market they
have previously filled.  They did so in words and in action for some 30
years! -with few if any (IIRC) that were poor fiscally.  Recognizing they
could exploit such an educational attribute via marketing was their key to
success worldwide.

Yes, the market changes.  But there are companies who are leaders who
create and implement that change, and there are those who simply follow
along, chasing fads (which reminds me of the comparison to the fashion
industry -seems to me LEVI Jeans are still around, with a few new products
now and then, but keeping the ever-popular orignal also).  In the case of
leaders and followers, which is TLC ?

-H.