 General / 34227
Re: End of Year Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 03:38:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, William R. Ward writes:
"Benjamin Medinets" <bmedinets@excite.com> writes:
I walked into the dismally looking toy store (Toys R US), and saw only
the "trashy" stuff (which I won't buy, not even on sale), the stuff I
already have, and the stuff which is too expensive (waiting it to on a
sharp discount)....

Even the "trashy" stuff, if sufficiently discounted, can be a great
source of parts for MOCs that are more intelligently designed than
Lego's own models.  That has always been true.

So what you're saying (if I may paraphrase) is that if the sets were less
trashy and were better designed, you might buy more of them and at regular
price, rather than waiting for blowout sales?

I think the moral here is that the company needs to start designing sets
again that are as good or better than anything folks can do at home.

I heard a lot of people that went around the lego aisle looking to get
the Bionicle sets.  I guess this spoon-fed creativity is good for children
(boys???), and the bionicle sets, at least the "hero's" are good for the
pocket books.

If it gets 'em playing Lego instead of staring at a video screen all
day, I'm for it.  Even if it is Bionicle.

Well, I agree.  Almost.  :)

If you give them bricks, they will build.

Just my continuing 2 cents.

Allan B.